Technical Director – Backend Services
What you'll be doing:
- Head a team of Lead, Principal, Senior and non-Senior Engineers, with responsibility for performance management and development/pastoral care ensuring exceptional level of service to our clients
- Support the CTO, VP of Engineering or Head of Engineering in technical discussions with clients on prospective projects
- Provide support/input to the People Team on HR initiatives relating to the MPG People Plan
- Communicate with stakeholders on projects to extract requirements and advise on solutions
- Architect, design and implement functionality for clients
- Continuously work to minimise technical, maintenance issues and mitigate risks
- Champion quality in MPG and our clients development process
What we'll need from you:
- Experience with architecture and operation of highly scalable backend systems
- Experience shipping and operating live games (or products) as Lead Engineer
- Experience with multiple programming languages with focus on backends
- Experience with a range of databases and their trade offs
- Experience with people management
- Ability to create high level documentation, diagrams, designs, etc
- Ability to advise leads & team members on technical and production matters
- Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders and prioritise work
- Ability to set direction, consider trade-offs and communicate priorities effectively
- Excellent communicator with the ability to verbalise conceptual thoughts and the willingness to accept constructive critique
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to analyse and comprehend direction
What would help:
- Experience with architecture of backends for multiplayer games is highly desirable
- Golang, Java, C#/.NET or Python experience is highly desirable
- Experience with cloud platforms: Amazon AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Expert Database experience with both SQL and No SQL highly desirable
- Understanding of and experience with orchestration
it’s more than a career choice.
Dale Taylor joined MPG as a Software Engineer in 2020.
He said: “MPG recognises what its okay to ask of us and what isn't. We're not expected to overextend ourselves for the sake of a project or development cycle. They've given me nothing but encouragement and room to grow and become a better dev with every project and task they've given me."
Find out more about what it’s like to work at MPG.
What we believe in
respect and trust
We treat each other with respect and trust, clients and colleagues alike.
We exhibit positivity in all our interactions.
delivery of value
We're committed to providing exceptional value to our clients.
We want our team to enjoy their work, interactions with colleagues, and the culture they have helped us cultivate.